Idol Americano

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The Girls: Week Two

Tonight was. . .boring. It probably didn't help that I didn't know half the songs. Anyway...

1. Aloha Mischeaux: "You Don't Know My Name" (Alicia Keys): Aloha was sporting some kind of poncho/muumuu thing tonight that wasn't working for me, and neither was her performance. It just sounded all over the place, and she actually worked her name into the lyrics. I don't really like that song in the first place, it's kind of "yelly," but this was not good. '80's doppelganger: an easy one, Jackee!

2. Lindsey Cardinale: "I Try to Think About Elvis" (Patty Loveless): I don't know this song. I'll be saying that a lot. I don't dislike Lindsey's voice, but the band drowned her out, and this song didn't seem particularly challenging. She'll probably be good if she picks the right song. I'm having a hard time finding Lindsey's '80's doppelganger, but I think I'll go with Justine "Mallory Keaton" Bateman.

3. Jessica Sierra: "A Broken Wing" (Martina McBride): I didn't realize I knew this song till halfway through, I remember Diana DeGarmo did an awesome job on it last year. Jessica was really great tonight, she belted this one out and it sounds like a tough song. Doppelganger: Becky Conner from Roseanne (either actress will do).

4. Mikalah Gordon: "God Bless the Child" (Billie Holliday): I don't know this song. Mikalah's voice sounded good, but her diction was TERRIBLE; she sounded like Mushmouth and I had no idea what she was saying or what song it was. The judges seemed to really like her, but maybe they knew the song. Doppelganger: we already have Blossom and Joey, now we have Six!

5. Celena Rae: "When the Lights Go Down" (Faith Hill): I don't know this song, and this performance was really boring. Again, pick something people know that shows your range, if, indeed, you have a range. She still has cute hair, but this was not good. Doppelganger: I'm going to go with Tiffani-Amber Thiessen in the Saved by the Bell: The College Years/90210 period..

6. Nadia Turner"My Love" (Paul McCartney): I like this song, but it's a little dull. Her version was pretty good though, but the "whoa's" get old. I still think she's great though. Doppelganger: Whitney Houston: the early years.

7. Amanda Avila: "Turn the Beat Around" (Gloria Estefan): I know there's an original version of this, but Amanda was obviously doing the Gloria Estefan version. This really wasn't bad at all. Cheesy, and very Vegas, but still really good. She actually gave a performance. Doppelganger: total old school SBTB Tiffani-Amber Thiessen.

8. Janay Castine: "Hit 'Em Up Style" (Blu Cantrell): Hee! I love this song! Janay's voice wasn't bad, but the song didn't suit her. That song needs attitude, and her attitude was "I am a deer. . .in the headlights." Janay just isn't sassy enough, though props to her for trying. I was amused by the way she incorporated Paula and Mikalah's names into the song, but it just felt like a little girl at the talent show. Doppelganger: Tootie. It's all about the eyes.

9. Carrie Underwood: "Piece of My Heart" (Janis Joplin): Not bad, not as good as last week. However the judges were bitching as though it was horrible, and complaining that Carrie wasn't being genuine. Ok, they call her Farm Girl, so apparently they want her to sing country. Last week, she sang Tiffany (not country), and they loved it. This week she sings a Janis Joplin song that Faith Hill, Madame Country, does a cover version of, and they bitch at her. Let's make some sense here, guys. Doppelganger: Candace "Donna Jo Tanner" Cameron.

10. Vonzell Solomon: "If I Ain't Got You" (Alicia Keys) Alicia Keys count: two. She's the Stevie Wonder of the female set. This wasn't bad, but I don't like this song, so that colored my opinion. She also seemed to be sharp at some points. Not terrible, not awesome, but kind of fair to middling. Doppelganger: Lark "Lisa Turtle" Voorhies, they both like to match almost too well.


Best: Jessica, Carrie, Nadia
Worst: Janay, Celena, Aloha.

Hopefully the votes will make more sense this week!

1 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

I have to say it: Adios, Aloha! Hee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home