Idol Americano

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

The Boys: Week Three

Note on last week's results: I was okay with them overall, but I think Constantine should have gone instead of Joseph, and Janay instead of one of the other two. However, none of them were going to win so it's all good.

The top 8 boys performed last night. This week's pre-performance interviews consisted of the "boys" discussing their astrological signs. I was really hoping for them to do a cover version of New Kids on the Block's "I Wanna Be Loved by You," which featured such lines as, "I know, I know, I'm young, I may be young, but I'm not too young to show you how I feel. I'm Joey, and I'm a Capricorn," and "I'm Donnie, a loveable Leo!" Alas, no. Enjoy!

1. Scott Savol: "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)" (The Four Tops): Scott's a Taurus (much like Jordan Knight), so I guess he doesn't take any bull. His performance was kind of a load of tripe though. His voice is good, but he's dull and just kind of disconcerting. I can't see him winning this, so I think it's better that he leave sooner than later. I could have sworn Ruben sang this before, but maybe it was someone else. It just seems like it's always on this show. Scott, take some chances, please.

2. Bo Bice: "I'll Be" (Edwin McCain): Bo is a Scorpio, and talks about how he may seem nice, but we shouldn't mess with him. Bo, I love you, but this song? Boring and overdone on this show. Also, what the hell is "love's suicide"? Anyway, he started out shaky but got much better. I really think Bo is awesome, but I like him better when he rocks instead of singing Dawson's Creek music.

3. Anthony Fedorov: "I've Got You" (Marc Anthony): Anthony is a Taurus (Taurus count: two), and comments that his Taurus trait of being stubborn led him to learn English after he moved to this country (he moved to the US ten years ago). Yeah, because if dude had been a Cancer, he'd still be speaking Russian. Anyway, Anthony sang some Marc Anthony song. Anthony, you're about as Latino as Mayim Bialik, but he did sound pretty good. I just don't like him for some reason. I loved Simon's comment: "You have about as much Latin flair as a polar bear." Anthony also sported a blazer that looked like it had been puked on and/or slimed. Perhaps Anthony made the mistake of uttering, "I don't know" on camera and the slime bucket came down on him.

4. Nikko Smith: "Georgia on My Mind" (Ray Charles): Nikko is also a Taurus (Taurus count: three). Maybe that's leading him to stubbornly continue looking like Stefan Urquelle. Anyway, this was a risky choice, because we already have a new Ray Charles, and his name is Jamie Foxx. I don't think it's the best time to bust out the Ray Charles. However, Nikko started weak, but ended up being really, really good at the end. I like him.

5. Travis Tucker: "Every Little Step" (Bobby Brown): Travis is an Aries. I don't know anything about Aries except that they're Rams, and I don't think "ramming" jokes are appropriate. Travis took the opportunity to dress up as a Newsie while singing Bobby Brown. Yeah, I don't get it either, but he looked really cute and danced well. Notice I didn't mention the singing. It wasn't good. Still so cute though!

6. Mario Vazquez: "How Do You Mend a Broken Heart" (Bee Gees): Mario is a Gemini, and he interprets that to mean that there are two sides to him, the serious side and the fun side. I say he has the hat side and the no hat side, and dude, put your hat back on. Other than that, he was really good.

7. Constantine Maroulis: "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" (Sting): Constantine is a Virgo. I got nothing on that. Anyway, Constantine was less offensive than in previous weeks, but still bad. As usual, he did his patented "pull open one side of my jacket" move.

8. Anwar Robinson: "What a Wonderful World" (Louis Armstrong): Anwar is a. . .wait for it. . .Taurus (Taurus count: four). Now despite my reservations, as I can't handle this song because it was our swing choir song in junior high and thus has been run into the ground, Anwar was phenomenal. Best performance so far on the show, and he needed it because he wasn't particularly remarkable last week. Nice job, Anwar. Also: he dressed very nicely in a black turtleneck and dress pants, and pulled back his dreads. Lookin' good, Anwar!

The best: Anwar, Nikko, Mario (Bo?)
The worst: Constantine, Travis, Scott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home