Idol Americano

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

The Top 11

Note 1: I was very happy with last week's results. Goodbye Lindsay Cardinale, and Mikalah, don't get too comfy on the red couch there.
Note 2: Last night's votes don't count due to a snafu (I love that word), so tonight they're rerunning last night's performances with some "additional live elements." I don't know what that means, I hope it means more cheesy group performances and/or Ford videos. Last week's video of "No Parking on the Dance Floor" was CLASSIC.
Note 3: Paula was SO off her meds last night. "Rush, rush" to your nearest Walgreen's ASAP.

1. Anthony Fedorov: "I Knew You Were Waiting for Me" (George Michael/Aretha Franklin): Anthony, why did we pick this? You had hundreds of options, and this? Surely Richard Marx had a number one hit or two. Anyway, I was unimpressed, little Anthony should be saying goodbye soon. And again, button up that shirt and put that trach scar away before someone gets hurt!

2. Carrie Underwood: "Alone" (Heart): Oh I love this song! Heart is so awesome. It would be really cool, though, if Bo or Constantine were to perform "Crazy on You" while serenading a giant bag of pot (I'm not crazy, just watch "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle"). Anyway, Carrie sang very well, she just didn't look too connected with the song and needs to work on her performance skills. Plus, the hair. Carrie had some crazy spiral curls going that scared the crap out of me. However, I agreed with my brother's statement that she had "Heart Hair."

3. Scott Savol: "Against All Odds" (Phil Collins): Good song and all, Scottie boy, but Jessica sang it a couple weeks back. Scott, pick something no one has sung before (it's possible!) and sing the hell out of it. Anyway, this was good but boring, and I was kind of disturbed by how he threw his sunglasses somewhat violently.

4. Bo Bice: "Time in a Bottle" (Jim Croce): I love you Bo! He's so my favorite, I can't deny it. Anyway, Bo was really good on this, it's kind of an unexciting song, but he "did his thing." I really enjoyed how Bo seemed to be faux serenading the Randy Jackson lookalike guitarist who was sitting on stage. Oh, and Bo? You don't do too well at singing non-words, leave the "La-la's" to Ashlee Simpson.

5. Nikko Smith: "Incomplete" (Sisqo): Nikko has balls to sing Sisqo of all people. I really wish he'd done "The Thong Song" though, that would have ROCKED. Anyway, Nikko was really, really good, probably the best tonight (even better than my Bo, I have to say). He needed this performance, I think, because he was lackluster last week. Fashion question: Nikko, why the coat on my shoulders look? Sure, the "reveal" was dramatic, but at the beginning he just looked like he had really big shoulders.

6. Vonzell Solomon: "Best of My Love" (The Emotions): Vonzell is adorable, she has a bit of Beyonce in her voice. I like her a lot, but I don't think she'll win this. This performance was kind of middle of the road. Note: there was a letter in the paper from "V. Solomon" today. Vonzell, did you move to Mokena?

7. Constantine Maroulis: "I Think I Love You" (The Partridge Family): For the second week in a row, I liked Constantine, and this week it didn't seem like the popular opinion. I really thought he sounded like David Cassidy at the beginning, and it was a fun performance, though he bounced way too much. Constantine, again you didn't suck.

8. Nadia Turner: "Time After Time" (Cyndi Lauper): Nadia, the hair. That's about all I can say because I was flummoxed by the triceratops-like creature that appeared on my screen singing Cyndi Lauper. It wasn't good, and I thought Time After Time was a ballad. Just not good. Triceratops, fix your hair and return to old school Nadia.

9. Mikalah Gordon: "Love Will Lead You Back" (Taylor Dayne): Here's hoping love will lead her back to the bottom 2 where she belongs, and off the American Idol stage for good. Mikalah did actually look pretty tonight (Paula forgot to pull that compliment out of her bag of tricks), but she sounded like someone who couldn't hear herself sing. It was just that bad.

10. Anwar Robinson: "Ain't Nobody" (Chaka Khan): Anwar, this was disappointing. As Simon said, he needed to sing an uptempo song, just not that one. That song didn't have enough singing in it for him to perform it well. Definitely his worst performance, but he's still a great singer.

11. Jessica Sierra: "Total Eclipse of the Heart" (Bonnie Tyler): For some reason Jessica felt the need to dress up like Stevie Nicks for this performance, but it was really, really good. I like her voice a lot, and the judges agreed, which made me happy. It felt kind of rushed because she was the last performer, but it was quite good.

Best: Nikko, Bo, Jessica, Carrie
Worst: Mikalah

5 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Last night, I pointed out to Joe's dad that Anthony looks just like a blond Harry Potter. I think they should cast him as Harry's evil twin in the next movie.

I thought Vonzell was adorable, Nadia's hair scared me, and I was initially excited to see Mikalah singing Taylor Dayne (she sounds a lot like her, IMO), but -- why, Mikalah? Why must you suck?

I thought Niko's coat-throwing was over the top and silly. Shut up, Niko.

I don't care, I still hate Constantine with a passion. Paula needs to stop encouraging him, because old boy ain't that cute, and he's a poser. Poser! Quit mugging for the camera, Constantine, it makes you look like an asshole. And put down that mic stand.

Ok, I'm done. My favorites were Bo and Carrie. She rocked last night.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger DaGoose said...

Constantine IS a poser, yet somehow I liked him two weeks in a row. I'm wondering what's wrong with me now!

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

For shame. No, I admit I liked his song last night; even when he sings well, I hate him. I think his voice is decent, but that stupid faux-modest-but-I-know-I'm-hot look on his face (even though he's not), plus the fact that he thinks he's a "rocker" make me despise him.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger DaGoose said...

Yeah, he's really not hot. He has eyes like Gargamel (or maybe Azrael), and his face is kind of chubby, which is kind of unusual for rockers, as their faces are usually more weathered and withered. Then again, that's usually from using coke, so I guess it's best that Constantine sticks to his chubby face. And note: Bo would be hot if he cut his hair and, perhaps, helped himself to some Crest White Strips.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

Joe's brother and I also noticed the Randy Jackson lookalike (I was momentarily befuddled until I realized it was not, in fact, Randy) and the serenading. Oh, Bo, I love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home