Idol Americano

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The Top 7

This week's theme was "70's Dance Music." In some cases, I think the term was used loosely.

1. Constantine Maroulis: "Nights on Broadway" (Bee Gees): I couldn't stop laughing at this because all I could think of is when they do the Barry Gibb Talk Show on SNL with Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake, and this is the theme song. Anyway, I think Constantine sounded pretty good, he was just drowned out by the background music. And Constantine? The eyeliner. You looked like The Crow.

2. Carrie Underwood: "MacArthur Park" (Donna Summer): Someone left Carrie' hair out in the rain, and then she got electrocuted. She was not looking good. This song was ridiculous. However, Carrie sang it well. As usual, she did not look very connected to the song, although I don't know how you connect to that song. Side note: my dad was eating sugar wafers, and we reminisced about my kindergarten "recipe" for sugar wafers mashed up into peppermint ice cream. I busted out with, "And I'll never have that recipe agaaaaaaaaaaaain!" and my dad did the "Oh NOOOOOOOO!" quite well. Good times.

3. Scott Savol: "Everlasting Love" (Carl Carlton): Boring. I just think this song is overplayed. He didn't suck, but he's not going to win.

4. Anthony Federov: "Don't Take Away the Music" (Tavares): Oh Feds. You make this to easy for me. Obviously I was singing, "Don't Trach Away the Music." This didn't suck, but he sounded kind of. . .yelly. That might not be a word, but I've made it a word. I probably would have liked Feds if he picked a song I knew, but this song was cheeseball.

5. Vonzell Solomon: "I'm Every Woman" (Chaka Khan): Vonzell's voice is not as strong as Carrie's, but she knows how to perform and connect with a song. This was very good. There's something about her that's very charismatic and makes you want to watch her.

6. Anwar Robinson: "September" (Earth, Wind & Fire): The opening footage? Too.Much.Crotch. Anwar's left eye is kind of creeping me out, it's a bit wonky. Anyway, I love this song. Does anyone else remember (besides my entire family, because we were so entertained) a couple seasons back when Verdine from Earth, Wind & Fire was a guest judge? His hair is magical. Anyway, I think Nikko could have done this song much better, at least he could have sung the chorus! Dude, if a song's chorus is too high for you, pick a different song.

7. Bo Bice "Vehicle" (Ides of March): Though I kept thinking about the car commercial, Bo did quite well. Again, I wish he'd pick more songs that have large amounts of straight singing, but still, very, very good. I love his voice. But again, Bo, put down the mic stand. Somebody's gonna lose an eye. Question: how is this a dance song?

Best: Bo, Vonzell, Carrie
Worst: Scott, Anwar

1 Comments:

At 10:51 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

You're a week behind, Em.

I am so happy Constantine got axed. Now I don't have to be frightened of his creepy stare, leg kicks (there should have been a "one leg kick per song" limit imposed on him this week) or child-molester ways. The fact that he was voted off restores my faith in the American people (well, at least a little bit). Not only was he creepy, but his brother literally looked like a zombie -- I expected the flesh to start falling off his face at any moment.

So there's the good. The bad: wtf was up with Vonzell being in the bottom three? That was a crime. She's adorable and has an amazing voice.

If the voters want to keep my respect, the next one to go should be the Feds/Trach My Breath Away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home