Idol Americano

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

The Top 3

Last night's show was extremely entertaining, and not just because of the appearance of Mr. Potato Head and his Bucket of Parts, aka Clive Davis. Seriously, the man's head looks like a spud.

1. Vonzell Solomon: "I Know I'll Never Love This Way Again" (Dionne Warwick):I seriously hate this song. It's so repetitive, up and down, up and down. I wasn't overly impressed with this performance, she seemed a little shrieky. Also, the dress was a monstrosity, though it would have been very cute shorter and in a different color.

2. Bo Bice: "Don't Let The Sun Go Down" (Elton John): While this song's solar oral sex insinuations disturb me, I really do like it, and Bo sang extremely well. This song is such a Clay Aiken-esque song, so I was a bit worried, but Bo "did his thing" and made the song his own. Yes, I know I sound like a disturbing Randy/Paula hybrid, it happens. I love Bo. However, I wish he'd take off the sunglasses. He can survive without them.

3. Carrie Underwood: "Cryin'" (Roy Orbison): A note: This song was covered by K.D. Lang, and my brother was having a hard time recalling what gender Ms. Lang belongs to. Anyway, I thought Carrie also did really well on this. It was a much more subtle performance than she usually does, and I thought she sounded great.

4. Vonzell Solomon: "Chain of Fools" (Aretha Franklin): Vonzell was pretty good, but I don't think she deserved all the praise Randy gave her. I'm really sick of hearing this song on American Idol. I feel like Vonzell very rarely does risky songs and I really wish she would have tried something different.

5. Bo Bice: "In a Dream" (Badlands): I've never heard this song, but it was amazing. Bo's risks paid off, I thought his performance was fabulous. It's hard for me to make as much commentary these days when everyone is good. Anyway, nice job Bo, even my mom, who still pines for the days of Nikko, liked it.

6. Carrie Underwood: "Making Love Out of Nothing At All" (Air Supply): I was really surprised that Carrie picked Air Supply, of all bands, rather than a country song, for her personal choice. I do love Air Supply though, and Carrie did really well, except for the middle of the song, where she rocked a bit too hard and the song sounded more like "Total Eclipse of the Heart."

7. Vonzell Solomon: "On the Radio" (Donna Summer): I'm really getting bored with Vonzell. She's decent, but just nothing incredible. I'm also annoyed that the judges picked such obvious songs for their choices. Why not make Vonzell sing Queen or something? This wasn't bad, but not up to par with her competitors.

8. Bo Bice: "Satisfaction" (Rolling Stones): I just kept thinking of Britney Spears' cover of this song and giggling to myself. Anyway, this was good, but kind of a throwaway performance. I don't think this was the most challenging song, but Paula picked it, so it's not surprising.

9. Carrie Underwood: "Man! I Feel Like a Woman" (Shania Twain): Even though she's a country singer, I think Carrie does better when she sings non-country songs. Carrie started out way too low, but got better throughout. Not her best performance, but it was passable.

Best: Bo
Worst: Vonzell
It's time for Baby-V to fly, and I really hope my boy Bo wins this thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home